Ruth Downham – Glass Artist
Ruth originally learned about glass when she was back in grade 12 and learned about creating a leadlight window. She still has one of her first pieces in her glass rack to remind her of where it all started.
Ruth went on to complete a science degrees and a diploma in teaching but kept coming back to playing with and teaching about glass over the last 20 years.
This involvement with glass was in ways such as creating stained glass windows (both leaded and copper foiled) along with three dimensional objects such as lampshade. Ruth has learned how to fuse and slump flat glass, sandblasted, etched and painted glass, and she has lampworked a few pieces.
Ruth’s current passion is casting in glass. Ruth gains a lot of inspiration from the natural world around her with marine life and plant life being a great area to explore.
IMAGES – Mary layered fosings, casting & playing with layers between double glazed panels.
Ruth has learned from a variety of national and international artists such as
- Spiritual Journeys, Margate 2011/2010/2009
- Southern Exposure, Cygnet 2009
- 30th Anniversary Ausglass Exhibition, Hobart 2009
- Handmark Gallery Glass, 2009
- Fleurties 2008/2007
- Heads and Tails exhibition, Morning Toast Gallery, Cygnet 2007
- Playing with Glass, Little Space Gallery, Hobart College 2007
- Tas Ausglass exhibition, Clarence Council, 2007